Monday, August 27, 2007

on my son's first day of public school

So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, mature in their relationship to Christ. That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me. Colossians 1:28-29 (NLT)

How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. Psalm 119:9 (NLT)

Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts. 2 Timothy 2:22 (NLT)

I want you to be wise in doing right and to stay innocent of any wrong. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. May the grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. Romans 16:19-20 (NLT)

Today I fought the traffic (why did everyone seem so angry and in such a terrible rush?) in order to take my oldest child to a public school for the first time. He referred to it as "normal" school; I joked that it was "Muggle" school. For me, normal has been the last twelve years of teaching him about you, about the world, about his place in your order. His father and I have been teaching and warning with all the wisdom you have given us. I haven't always felt adequate to the task, but I've relied (sometimes not so willingly) on your power. Now I struggle with handing over some of the responsibility for my son's education to a group of public school teachers. My first prayer is that these teachers might depend on you. God, be in that school, and with my son.

Help my son to love holiness. It sounds a little crazy when I say that – a twelve year old, loving holiness?? – but it's what I most deeply want for him. Help him to find companions of pure heart. Make him wise in doing good, and innocent of any wrong. Crush the forces that would oppose you under your feet, and cover us all with your grace.

No comments: