Saturday, August 18, 2007

on the death of a child

Peace has been stripped away, and I have forgotten what prosperity is. I cry out, “My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!” …I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!” Lamentations 3:17-24

We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us. And you are helping us by praying for us. 2 Corinthians 1:8-11 (NLT)

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18 (NIV)

The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. James 5:16 (NLT)

I can barely say this one, Jesus. Someone's child has died. And not just the child, but so many dreams, so many hopes for a future that won't unfold the way they thought it would. Peace has been stripped away; the splendor of a young, beautiful life is gone. I know your heart is broken, and this family must be crushed and overwhelmed beyond their ability to endure. This awful time will never be forgotten. How does one comfort another in such a time? Perhaps they can't. Perhaps only you can bring succor in a time like this.

I beg you to rescue this family from danger. The powers that oppose you have risen up and will seek to crush any vessel that attempts to receive the outpouring of your love. Bind up this marriage, Lord. Send your angels to defend your people. Build a fortress around this suffering, grieving family. Help them to rely on you.

And send people who are sturdy in the faith to pray over and stand with this family. Not just now, when the news is fresh and the pain brand-new, but send them later, as the shadows lengthen, the evening comes, and the rest of the world seems to have moved on.

May the story of Natalie's life be told and celebrated and remembered. Something truly beautiful has passed away. We are left in your hands, awaiting your hope.

No comments: