Wednesday, August 29, 2007

job changes in the Kingdom of God

Again [Jesus] asked, "What shall I compare the kingdom of God to? It is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount[a] of flour until it worked all through the dough." Luke 13:20-21 (NIV)

At first I didn't even know yeast was needed to make bread rise. Somehow I never heard, either growing up or in seminary, that the job of Jesus people was to "make disciples." I admit to some embarrassment here.

But once I started seeing your church as the yeast, I began work as your apprentice, searching for and bringing out the yeast so it could be used to make bread.

It wasn't so odd to discover some yeast that could not be used at all; the kitchen seemed to be overrun with it at first, and I fear I wasted a good bit of time paying attention to what amounted to dust rather than actually being helpful to you.

Rather, what surprised me was discovering that there was such a thing as reluctant yeast. Who would have thought I would spend so many years arguing with yeast? It sounds a bit crazy, and anyway it doesn't seem to fit the shape in which you made me.

Because you have brought me into your kitchen and taught me so much over the years, I feel like I am beginning to understand my next position with you a bit better. You never intended me to stay in the kitchen, did you?

You made me to find hungry people for you to feed.

It seems like the finest and most beautiful of all possible jobs I could have in your Kingdom. I offer you my profound and joyful thanks.

No comments: