Sunday, January 6, 2008

because I feel inadequate

Satan's angel did his best to get me down; what he in fact did was push me to my knees. No danger then of walking around high and mighty! At first I didn't think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it. Three times I did that, and then he told me, "My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness." Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift. It was a case of Christ's strength moving in on my weakness. Now I take limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become. 2 Corinthians 8-10 (The Message)

I more or less hate that scripture, God. Not so much the first part as the second, the "I was glad to let it happen" part. I mean, honestly, could Paul have been any more cloying? But it's true I feel inadequate in so many ways and have hope -- on my good days -- that you will bring good out of my pitiful condition. And that's pretty much all I have to say for now, for fear of sounding pretty cloying myself. I'm glad you are you, Mighty One.

No comments: