Thursday, February 15, 2007

for my son who just turned 12, and for me, his mother


"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12 (New International Version)

"Watch what God does, and then you do it, like children who learn proper behavior from their parents. Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that." Ephesians 5:1-2 (The Message)

Maker of all things good, I offer you profound thanks for my son, given by you and born to me 12 years ago. Help me continue to imitate you so that he will do the same. More than anything, help my son love. Not cautiously, but extravagantly, with abandon! May he seek always to serve others, giving away the overflowing gifts you are building up in him. May we both be a light to the world, leading your people and setting an example in speech, life, love, faith, and purity.

No comments: